« Home | crowder rocks, third day is a downer » | jesus jokes » | wedding planning » | research » | tract down the sinners! » | season premier: the office » | warped » | from hawaii to alaska and back » | don't small talk back » | my famous friend »

i used to read john fischer...

now i read relevant.

and this article may be about celebrities and how even though they're crazy, we're all crazy and just because someone is famous doesn't give us the right to make fun of them. but it reminds me of how much fun i make of everyone, whether they're famous or not.

i've got a bad habit of poking fun at anyone. if there's a joke to be made, i'll probably make it. at anyone's expense. there's a dark side to this that has been bothering me for a while.

how can i truly love like jesus if i'm always picking at someone?

i think over the past couple years, i've become a critical person. it's good in a few aspects. i actually notice things now and i feel i'm more observant.

but it comes with a negative. with the criticalness, you're never totally accepting of EVERYTHING. to be more accurate, you're never totally accepting of ANYTHING. you're (buy 'you're' i mean 'i'm') always on the lookout for what could be improved and less concerned with what is already a positive.

i like being a critical person. it helps me in my own life with school, work, worship, relationships, etc. but it's also hard on relationships with classmates, co-workers, brothers, mothers, cousins, etc.

i know sarah has pointed out to me that i'm quick to tell her what she does wrong (like leaning the wrong way on a motorcycle), but not telling her what she does right (like leaning with me on the motorcycle).

this critical behavior could be dangerous...

so how do you keep it in check?






i hope to have a few answers shortly. and a lot of answers over the years.

it goes back to the good ol "treat others as you would want to be treated". i also use the language of sarcasm and critisism frequently, but i have been working on it in the last year. Here is what i have learned in trying to live the "golden rule":

1. I feel a lot less stressed being nicer and not so nitpicky.
2. My relationships have deepened since people don't feel like i am looking for what they are doing wrong or something to tease them about all the time.
3. My compassion has grown. This mostly because i have been trying to look at things through the eyes of the one i at one time would have mocked by instinct.
4. I feel closer to God. His very nature was compassionate, but honest. Which is the description i am looking to have said about me someday.

All this to say, it is hard! Those attitudes become a crutch, and letting go of it is a very daunting task. I have been hard core working on it for about a year now and it is still a daily thing to fight. Now will i ever given up my fine tuned art of sarcasm? NO, but i can use it for humor not to cut others down. There is a difference.
Hope that helps!!!

it's always ok to make jokes if they're insanely absurd and affect people that are far away or dead.

Actual situation that happened at work:

Matt: There was a school shooting somewhere. This guy lined up all the girls in the class and I guess he shot one.

Mike: Yeah, didn't he shoot a girl that was a twin?

Me: I wonder if the other one felt it...


Why is THAT where my mind went?

wierd.

Post a Comment