« Home | robert "taco" bell » | great ideas on what starving people in ethiopia mi... » | top 50 » | ungrateful » | and there was mashed potato everywhere... » | multinexusmedia » | to burn or not to burn » | death kills us all » | har dee har hardee's » | psalm 143:10 »

my first poll

ok, i haven't blogged this yet b/c complaining isn't my thing... BUT...

i really hate my job. i've been on 2nd shift for over a year now. that's 3PM-11PM.

i have almost no life b/c of that.

here's the deal.

i can get this other job almost no problem. the hours are better (not ideal, but better), so i'd like that but... it wouldn't be a promotion. it would be a sideways move.

6 months from now, it would be a promotion (you automatically get bumped up a salary grade after 6-12 months).

the big dilemma though, is that i would lose 7% of my income. i get a 7% night shift bonus for working 2nd shift.

so here's what i want...

if there are any readers of this, just post what you would do...

stick it out in your current job with crappy hours but decent pay hoping for a better job eventually, or taking the sure thing and a pay cut for the next 6 months yet be on a better shift?

what to do, what to do...

As long as I could pay the bills in those 6 months, I think I would take the new job with better hours. It's a huge detriment to your everday happiness if you don't enjoy your work and it is keeping you from other things you do enjoy. I say take the new job, even if it means scrimping for awhile. :-)

You've got to go where you're heart leads you. At this point, I would probably take the pay cut so that life could be more enjoyable. The more time I'd spend in a job I don't like, the more I'd probably go insane. I'd be leaning heavily towards taking the new job.

Hmm..DECISIONS, DECISIONS!

What I usually do in a situation like this is to weigh all the pros and cons side by side. Whichever one has the longest list, I go with that.
If you take the sideways job:
Pros
1. Better hours
2. More time to hang with friends
3. More time for a class or two
4. Promotion & better pay in 6 months
5. You already know you can do the job.

Cons
1. Lose 7% of pay
2. ..uh..no excuse to avoid annoying friends

BUT - do what you think will make you happiest..ok, so you may not know what that is. You said in your post that you hate your job because you work 2nd shift and have almost no life because of it. That sounds like you want a better quality of life. And it's not like you can't EVER get promoted somewhere down the road. Plus, right now you're gonna take a class, right? So you could have even more free time in the evenings to do that.

PLUS, you get a promotion in 6-12 months in that job, right? So take the job now and in 6 months you'll get the promotion. That's what I would do because I think it would make me a whole heck of alot happier. :)

money is not everything. (as long as the bills are paid...)

Dood,

Screw the old job. Take the new job. Day shifts are good. Night shifts are poop.

i have worked 2nd and it SUCKS! you feel like you have no life all you do is work and sleep. take the other job as long as you can still pay your bills. 6 months will go by fast. much faster in a job you are happier with.

Post a Comment